Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fruit Trees Run Amok

Our fruit trees are taking over!

Our peach tree has always produced fairly well. Our apple tree does pretty well every other year. Our pear tree has been too young too produce much until this year. The problem is, the fruit on these trees all ripened at exactly the same time.

Our apple tree did awesome this year. I thinned and thinned the apples. I probably threw out more than 700 apples and it still wasn't enough. The apples were perfect - red, juicy and delicious.

Apples still on the tree

Man, that guy can paint a bowl of fruit!
We picked half of them one week and made apple sauce. Really it is more like a pie filling. We love getting it out and eating it on waffles, crepes or anything else throughout the year. Ryan and Joseph were the champion peeler/corers. Ryan liked eating the long strings of apple peels as they came off. He probably ate 6 or 7 peels just plain.



Marsha was the chief canner. Mark and Lauren spent most of the time looking for canning lids at the store. It would be too easy to ask someone where they were.



The next week we picked the rest of the apples and are storing them for eating. Hopefully they will last us a long time. We probably picked over 150 lbs of apples.

At the same time, the peaches decided they were ready and started jumping off the tree. The peaches didn't get as big this year as they usually do. I probably didn't thin them enough. We picked the peaches the same time we finished picking the apples. We probably picked around 100 lbs of peaches as well. We probably didn't even make it through half of them yesterday.

All the peaches piled on the counter

Marsha canning (freezing) the peaches

The finished product
Ryan is the resident peach lover. He would rather eat a peach than about anything else. He likes all fruit in general. That would be a Sorenson trait.

We picked the pears the same day we did apple sauce. You are supposed to let pears ripen off the tree, so they have been sitting in our laundry room ripening. They are really flavorful. We probably picked about 70 pears. (I wonder if they are ginna pears.)

We have also had tons of tomatoes, and squash this year. Anyone care to join us for some fresh produce?

7 comments:

Donna said...

We did applesauce this week and froze nectarines too. YUMMY! If you are at a point of door-bell ditching extra produce, keep us in mind. :)

Kristen said...

WOW! Jealous here! Our peach tree and apple trees are still young so we got 5 absolutely delicious peaches off our tree. Do you spray your apple tree for worms? They look sooooo good!

Shannon B said...

AWESOME you guys! I would LOVE to take some off your hands! Too bad we are a bit far away. Totally laughing that Mark and Lauren spent most of the time at the store looking for lids! HAHA. Happy canning!!

Stefani said...

Man, that guy can paint a bowl of fruit. Oh my gosh what is that quote from? Good for you for all pitching in even if it was to wander around the store for hours :) We got one peach off our tree this year, I thought about canning it but decided against it. And I bet after Ryan ate all those apple peels he was just a regular guy.

karensumpter said...

Is Derek in heaven with all the peaches and fresh fruit?:) Way to go on all the canning and freezing!

Janet said...

wow.... lots of work, but looks absolutely divine!! i wish i was there to join in the eating of such delicious-ness!

Stimpsons said...

I too am jealous. I think one of my absolute favorite things is fresh fruit off the tree. I think I'm living in the wrong state. Wish I could join you for fresh fruit goodness.