Sunday, November 14, 2010

Crazy Stories

There is a creative writing exercise that we have turned into a game that we like to play with the older kids in our family. We have played this with some of you before. The rules are simple. Everyone starts with a blank piece of paper. Everyone writes one sentence as the beginning of a story and passes the paper clockwise one person. The next person writes the next sentence of the story, folds the first sentence down so the next person can only see the last sentence and passes the paper on. This continues until there is no more room on the paper (one side only is usually long enough.)

We have had some really entertaining stories. Here is a sampling from tonight. Enjoy the bizarre from the Lindseys.

Story 1: Universal Language

Once there was a man that was in desparate need of a potholder, but he didn't have one. So he ran all over the whole universe trying to desperately find one single potholder. He was able to find just the right one at Bed Bath and Beyond and he just happened to have a 20% off coupon.

"Now I can hatch my evil plan!" he shouted at the surprised checker. The checker just said "King Me," earning himself strange glares and stares from passers-by. Finally one passer-by said, "Man, what the heck are you talking about?"

The man said he was just practicing some new phrases he had learned in Klingon and switched back to speaking English. "I knew I could be bilingual!" he shrieked as he flashed the "live long and prosper sign" to his mother. His mother glared at him and said, grudgingly, "You'd never be able to learn Zulu!"

Story 2: Celebration of Cheese

One day som mice stumbled upon some cheese bearing the label, "Made in China." Everyone felt bad that the mice had eaten the cheese because they would surely die. They only felt bad for a moment before a wild celebration of cheese broke out. The small cluster of lactose intolerant celebrators looked stunned as the cheese was consumed by young and old alike.

"How can they eat so much, these amazingly adapted creatures from the distant future?" the intolerants said in shock and awe. "Well, I think they can eat so much 'cause they each have 36 stomachs," a stranger burst in. Everyone stared blankly at such outlandish news and said, "No wonder you are a stranger - you are strange!" With truth staring at them in the face, they sat down and composed the first sonota that had the devil's tritone in every measure.

3 comments:

Stefani said...

Bhahaha! I'm totally laughing. I think I've now figured out what we are doing for FHE tomorrow night!

Janet said...

This is hilarious... I was imagining who wrote which sentence! :)

Joe and Julie said...

Wacky stories for ssure. We have loved playing that with youygou guys in the past. We also like your Book of Mormon names sentences (does that make sense?).