We asked the kids what they wanted to do. There were varying degrees of enthusiasm and responses. When Ryan found out that there was a place where we could find crystals AND try to catch lizards, he wondered why there was even any discussion of going anywhere else. We decided to go on a day trip to Topaz Mountain.
| Sunscreening up at Topaz Mountain. It is actually a mountain as seen in the background. |
Since there was rock hounding invloved, we invited the Deardens to go with us, but they had some fall cleaning that kept them from coming. We did manage to round up a book on the best way to find crystals at Topaz Mountain and off we went.
| Lauren on Topaz Mountain. Look at all the miles of nothing around. |
Topaz Mountain is in the middle of nowhere and I'm not even joking. The closest towns of any size are the thriving metropolises of Eureka and Delta Utah. You drive to about half way between the two and then head west for 40 miles. When we were about halfway out to the mountain, Joseph asked where we were. We had to honestly tell him that we were nowhere.
For those unfamiliar with what topaz looks like, the following picture will give you an idea.
![]() |
| Museum grade golden topaz |
It used to be that you could find large rough topaz crystals lying around at Topaz Mountain. You now have to dig for them and even then chances of finding anything are remote. We took hammers with us to break up promising looking rocks. To Joseph, all rocks looked promising.
| When you have a hammer, the whole world is a nail. |
| Mark in front of a windblown rock formation |
| Ryan in hot pursuit of a lizard |
Mark also caught a large lizard, but managed to crush it pretty good in the process. Sadly, that lizard didn't make it.
On the way home we decided to go to another place we heard about that has Apache Tears, obsidian drops that could have the appearance of black diamonds. We followed the directions we had to try and find them but couldn't find the place. The map we had showed a back way to get back to the old pony express trail. I knew that the old road lead back to Lehi. We (I) decided to follow the back road. We ended up driving about 110 miles on a dirt road. It took about the same amount of time to get home as it would have to take the highway and our teeth were a little looser for all of the jarring we took on the dirt road.
We made it, though. A fun time was had by all (even though there was weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth by some members of our party before we left on our adventure.)

7 comments:
What an adventure!
How fun. I've heard about Topaz Mtn and wondered about going out there. Sounds like quite the adventure.
WOW! This sounds like a Dearden activity if I ever heard one. Too bad they had other plans. It looks like fun though and we wish we could have come along.
i love the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth part! sounds like quite an excursion!
I agree with Janet about the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth...I once remember someone in your family saying, "I'd rather die than eat at Panda Express!" Ha Ha! Looks fun!
I read your post to Collin..he would like to have a similar adventure. He said, you know how I am good at catching crickets, maybe I could get a pet lizard! Sounds like so much fun.
-Suzie
I wouldda gone with you and my teeth wouldn't have been gnashing. That's my kind of adventure.
Post a Comment