Sorry if this is TMI, but there you have it.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Call Me Frank
Many of you know that I have lipoma (not cancerous even though it sounds like it.) A lipoma is a benign tumor composed of fatty tissue. We refer to them as my fat blobs. I probably have about 20 of them, but three of them were especially visible on my left arm. Most lipomas can be removed in the doctor's office or outpatient surgery center. The doctor injects a local anesthetic around the lipoma, makes an incision in the skin, removes the growth, and closes the incision with stitches. I had one removed on my forearm just above my wrist. I had another removed just below my elbow.
On Wednesday of last week I had the third (and largest) one removed from my tricep. It was big enough that it took 18 stitches to close. You can count them for yourself in the picture. It isn't painful, but I look like Dr. Frankenstein's monster. After the doctor (Dr. Berry for those who know him.) removed it, he apologized for the size of the incision. He also told me that it was big enough that he removed my gall bladder while he was at it. (The reason for the bruising is because the blob was so big that it left a cavity that allowed the blood to pool.)
Sorry if this is TMI, but there you have it.
Sorry if this is TMI, but there you have it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow...thanks for sharing. Very impressive scar. Is there anything you can do to stop new lipoma from forming?
You need to create a really cool story about this scar! Something like, we were hiking and a bear attacked us. He swiped at my arm but just before he got me I ducked away. Only one claw scratched me ... you know something exciting! :) I had one on my rib cage when I was in college. Kind of a weird little thing.
Lucky you!
Macy got stitches last week too... staples actually. She could be your dog.
that's going to leave a mark!!! i remember dr. berry!
Post a Comment