Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Bike Ride



Ron Thorpe invited Adam Whitefield and I (Derek) to ride with him in the MS150 bike ride in Logan, Utah. In order to ride, you have to raise a minimum of $250 to donate to MS research. (Thanks to those who sponsored me.) We didn't register until June 2 and the ride was June 28. I hadn't ridden a bike in over a year, so I had some work to do. I borrowed a bike and rode three or four times a week to get in shape. By the time the 28th rolled around, we were ready (or not) to ride the 75 miles of the trip. It started at the fairgrounds in Logan and looped up into Idaho and back to the fairgrounds. The first picture is of us pedaling back into the fairgrounds at the finish of our ride. (Derek on the left, Adam in the center and Ron on the right)


We camped in Logan Canyon the night before with our families (except for Mark who was at scout camp.) The weather was nice and we made pretty good time on the ride. Our total time was about six hours. That included a few rest stops and a lunch stop. We were tired by the time we got done, but it felt good to have accomplished the task. The second picture is of nerd man of America at the end of the ride.
BTW, since my company didn't sponsor a team, I signed up with Ron's team of Fidelilty Investments - hence the jersey.

1 comment:

Joe and Julie said...

Glad you found the will to do this crazy thing. But it was all for a good cause and with good friends. What a team member you are! Dad