From the CAT scan, we headed to the emergency room. The surgeon on call concurred with the other doctor that it was likely appendicitis. They recommended an appendectomy. Lauren had been watching Ryan and Joseph. We called Valerie (Marsha's sister) who immediately headed to our house to help out - including picking up pizza for the kids for dinner. While we were waiting for things to proceed, we called our home teacher. He happened to be home and available, so he made a quick trip to the hospital for a blessing.
At 7:15, Marsha was wheeled in to surgery. The surgery lasted for just under an hour. The surgeon came to find me in the waiting room and said, "That was one angry appendix! It wasn't ruptured, but it was all but." It's good we caught it when we did. There is now one fewer angry appendix in the world.
The first thing Marsha said when she came out of surgery was, "My belly button hurts." The next thing she said was, "I assume they took out my appendix because I feel a lot better."
Here is a picture of Marsha just before surgery. She gave me permission to post the picture and the post-surgery quotes.
![]() |
| Just before surgery |
Marsha is recovering well. Before the surgery was done, we had someone (visiting teacher) lined up to bring in dinner for today. We also had someone volunteer to take the kids tomorrow (holiday from school for them, but not from work for me.) We have since had people say they would bring us dinner for the next few days. Some friends stopped by with a loaf of fresh-baked homemade bread. Most of the ward knew about the surgery by the time church started today (9:00 AM.) The huge and immediate outpouring love and concern from caring friends and family is somewhat overwhelming. We really do have great friends and family.

7 comments:
"Angry Appendix"-- Sounds like a winner app(endix) for the iPhone. It wiggles around while the doctor tries to snag it. :)
Oh! Sorry. Maybe that was in poor taste.
Oh wow, crazy couple of days! So glad everything is alright and that they got the angry appendix before it ruptured! You guys do have great friends and family... You are very loved! Here's to a good recovery Marsha!
I can totally empathize. You get to the point where surgery is actually welcomed to get rid of the pain. I hope you are up and feeling better quickly. Take advantage of all the generosity. It will make everyone feel good to help, and it will keep you from doing too much too fast. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Sarah
Oh my, I'm glad everything turned out for the best. Good riddens appendix! Speedy recovery, Marsha, and family!
Suzie
I mean good 'riddance' : )
So glad you're doing well Marsha and that you have so many people to take care of you! Wishing you a speedy recovery! We love you!
It's always fun to say concur, especially when you're talking about something medical. The place where Kelsi's Doctor is has valet parking. The jokes never stop... Brian Reagan is a GENIUS I tell you!
I was wondering about the picture. I though maybe it was post-op. She looks pretty dazed. But I'm glad daily for modern medicine and doctors, especially when they are helping people I love. Get better soon Marsha!
Post a Comment