Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Kitchen Project

We have been talking about repainting our kitchen for a little while. It used to be kind of a sunny yellow color. Marsha wanted to go with something a little more bold and dark. She also wanted to put in a higher backsplash behind the sink and by the stove. We decided to go with 1" x 1" glass mosaic tile for the backsplash. It has greens, greys and browns in it. Once we decided on the tile, we had an easier time picking out the paint. We wanted something that would tone down the orange look of the cupboards. We also wanted something to bring out the browns in the tile. We found two colors that we liked. One was called Wine Barrel. The other was called Chocolate Cherry. Neither were quite right, so we combined them and liked the result. We went with a pearl grey grout. We finished the grout yesterday.

Here are some pictures of the finished result.



Here is the backsplash behind the stove and the dark paint above the cupboards and around the pantry.



This is the backsplash behind the sink. We also took out our appliance garage. It was where the mixer is in the corner.



We painted all the way out past the computer desk on one side...


...and out past the French doors on the other.

 
Here is the overall effect.

Next up is painting the family room.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Derek your naming of colors is great! I love the new look!

Shannon B said...

ohhhh, pretty!!! I love the color and I love the back splash. I can't remember what it looked like before...

karensumpter said...

oohh...I like it! It looks very dramatic with the darker colors. I like the glass tile backsplah!

Stefani said...

Glass Tile??? I love that stuff and I love your "new" kitchen! Gorgeous!

Heather said...

Looks fabulous!

stevet said...

love the new chic look! and love the story of marsha taking out the appliance garage! you guys are awesome!

Joe and Julie said...

Can't wait to see you kitchen in April.